Monday, April 6, 2009

Blog 12 (Learning More About Movies)

Do you ever want to read about a movie before seeing it? Do you care to know the ratings of the movie? If so, you should check out Rotten Tomatoes. Rotten Tomatoes isn't as gross as it may sound. It's actually a movie review website. It has what's called a Tomatometer, which measures the percentage of positive reviews. The movie I was curious to see the ratings from was The Haunting in Connecticut. Apparently, it wasn't that good--it was a rotten tomato. If you click on the link, Rotten Tomatoes tells you why. This movie review site isn't going to stop me from seeing it, though, because I thought it looked really good.

I actually never read movie reviews. The only reason I did now was because I was trying to think of an interesting blog topic and I thought of this. I know some people who base their wanting to see a movie or not solely on movie reviews. I've actually heard a lot of bad things said about some of the best movies I've seen. I don't think I'm too critical to movies, though. I like to see them all at least once.

While looking through this list, I found several movies I've never even heard of before that sounded interesting to watch. In fact, I might just have to add some of them to my Netflix queue, even if they were rotten tomatoes. I tried not to look at the reviews until after I view the movie, so the review doesn't affect my opinion of the film.

Another great site to check out if you want to know more about the movies you'll see/have seen is the Internet Movie Database. This site gives information about the cast, director, producer, writers, release date, and even a plot summary. It even shows photographs from the movie. Although I never use Rotten Tomatoes, I think it may become useful to me if I am ever skeptical to see a certain movie. And the Internet Movie Database has definitely been useful to me in the past and will continue to be in the future.

Do movie reviews affect your opinion on the movie? Do you still see movies even if they got bad reviews?

2 comments:

  1. Movie reviews never let me make a judgement on a movie because 1.) I never read them, and 2.) I want to make my own opinion on a movie, and not go by what others say. My views, likes, and dislikes are different from those of others. I think if you listen to others opinions you might miss out. And, the way you interpret the movie could be different then others, you may pick up on something others don't get. I guess movie reviews are a good idea if you aren't as opinionated as some others are or want a second opinion, or are just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't read movie reviews, but I do like to read about what the movie is about. So when I go to the movie I will actually have a little idea on what is going on. If I have no clue what the movie is about in the beginning, then I am really lost during the movie. I think movie reviews are based off of one persons' opinion. Everyone has a different view on what they think about the movie, but I will take them into consideration. I guess I usually just listen to my friends on if I am going to see a movie or not.

    ReplyDelete